Thursday, May 26, 2005

Living Between Despair and Hope

Before I get into today’s thoughts, I want to make sure you know about John Mark Hick’s blog.  I just discovered it and have been blessed from reading his insights.  His May 13 and 14 insights on the “Christian Affirmation” are helpful in describing what at least some of the signers were not trying to say.  His more recent posts have dealt with some more personal issues, living with the losses in his life, remembering both with pain and joy, and continuing to experience joy in the present.

This paradoxical existence – living simultaneously with sadness and joy – was reflected with what I saw in the Togolese Christians in our Sunday worship.  For them, the poles that are held in tension are more accurately described as despair and hope.  I thought it was extremely biblical that these competing feelings could find a voice in the same worship service.

One man’s prayer was particularly touching.  He prayed about how nothing seems to work out right for the Togolese, how things that they put their hands to fail, how they never seem to be able to get ahead.  Although he made no political references in his prayer, I could not help but feel that his prayer was at least in part occasioned by the frustration that many of the people in our area feel about the breakdown in the political process.  But he could have had other things in mind – insufficient rains, problems of debt, family jealousies – any one of the scores of problems that are a part of everyday life here.

But then there was hope.  Hope symbolized by the birth of a baby  to a couple in the church.  This couple – Toglo and Alice – married later in life, and have just been blessed with a son.  They are both dedicated servants of God, and I was thrilled when they decided to marry, and so proud that God has blessed them with a child.  This was the baby’s first time at church.

During the singing time here, different groups will come to the front and parade around the table, lifting their hands and rejoicing.  This Sunday, one of the young men in the church spontaneously took the baby from the arms of the mother, and held the baby up as he marched his parade of joy.  It was an occasion of joy, not only for the parents, but for the whole church.

To their credit, this church didn’t change its Sunday program the minute the missionary unexpectedly showed up.  They went ahead with their normal speaker, but they did invite me to give a word of encouragement and a blessing for the parents and baby.  I spoke from Job chapter 19, where Job reaches one of lowest points of confusion, bordering on despair.  He even says, “It is God who has wronged me” (v. 6, 8-12).  Ouch!

Not only does he feel that God is against him, but his friends and relatives have turned against him as well (v. 13-22).  Feeling unjustly forsaken, he longs for some way to argue his case in a way that his words could never be erased (v. 23-24).

But then, in spite of it all, he is able to look beyond the pain, the disappointment, and the despair to declare, “But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and that he will stand upon the earth at last.  And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!  I will see him for myself.  Yes, I will se him with my own eyes.  I am overwhelmed at the thought!” (Job 19:25-27, NLT).

Now I know there are some translation and interpretation issues with this passage, but I think the overall message is clear.  Against hope, Job dares to hope that somehow, someway, somewhere, everything will be set right.  This is not just pie in the sky, but it has its focus in a specific person – a Redeemer.  Now I don’t think Job had a clue who that Redeemer is or how he will set things right.  But I do.  And it is my confidence in that Redeemer that enables me to encourage my brothers and sisters who struggle with despair to continue to hope – and to take confidence from the signs of hope, such as the birth of child, that declare that there remains a future.

There is a Redeemer
Jesus, God’s own Son
Precious Lamb of God, Messiah
Holy One.

Thank you Oh my Father
For giving us your Son
And leaving your Spirit
’Til your work on earth is done

(Words by Melody Green)

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home