Monday, May 16, 2005

Taking a Clue from Newsweek

The latest Newsweek debacle is a sobering reminder of the power of words, and the immense responsibility that lies on those of us who would speak publicly – and especially we who dare to speak publicly for God.

Over the last few days, I’ve seen numerous references to a statement called “Christian Affirmation” – an effort by several leaders within the Churches of Christ to make a statement about some areas of concern in our movement.  I’ve read both positive and negative reactions.  I’ve appreciated the spirit with which the dialogue is being carried out.

I’ve had several reactions to this document, both on a gut level and a few others based on more sober reflections.  But I’m still not sure what I make of it.  So I’m going to do what Newsweek should have done and keep quiet, because I’m just not sure.  I’m not sure because I can’t find clear statements from Scripture on some of the issues raised.  And when that happens, if I remember correctly, one of the dictums of our movement tells me that I should just keep quiet.

4 Comments:

At 8:51 AM CST, Blogger Greg said...

Come on, Anthony, in the spirit that is all-too-common you ought to let fly with vindictive and judgemental statements. Speak before you hear the end of the matter, question the motives of the signers, create red herrings and straw men, fail to honestly address the concerns raised and instead nail them on something they weren't trying to say, draw a tight circle leaving them out, and threaten with eternal hellfire all who would disagree with you!

Come on! Remember your heritage!

 
At 8:51 AM CST, Blogger Greg said...

Come on, Anthony, in the spirit that is all-too-common you ought to let fly with vindictive and judgemental statements. Speak before you hear the end of the matter, question the motives of the signers, create red herrings and straw men, fail to honestly address the concerns raised and instead nail them on something they weren't trying to say, draw a tight circle leaving them out, and threaten with eternal hellfire all who would disagree with you!

Come on! Remember your heritage!

 
At 1:53 PM CST, Blogger Anthony Parker said...

Wow, Greg, somehow you got published twice.

Some people sure have a way with words.

OK, I admit that I wimped out. I guess one of my professors at my undergrad school was right when he blasted my generation for having no conviction. And that was over 20 years ago. Imagine how spineless today's post-moderns must be.

Seriously, I do have some pretty strong convictions, but that they just happen to center on different subjects.

 
At 8:31 PM CST, Blogger Don Surber said...

Best analysis of the situation I have seen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home