Saturday, October 15, 2005

Faith Seeking Understanding

This morning I read Greg Taylor’s post about a tough question that his son asked, along with Sara’s comment warning against the temptation to give kids “pat answers.”  It reminded me of a conversation I had with Jeremy this week.

I’ve been reading 1 Samuel with Jeremy and Jonathan.  It’s been encouraging to see their interest—Jonathan’s most-requested song has long been “Only A Boy Named David.”  One night this week, as I as trying to get them into bed so I could collapse, one of them asked, “Daddy, can we read the Bible?”  How could I say no?

Well, even an action book like 1 Samuel isn’t without its theological mysteries.  We got to the part about Saul being afflicted by “an evil spirit sent by the Lord.”  I hoped they wouldn’t notice that part.  I wasn’t so lucky.

One day after we had read that, Jeremy said – “Daddy, that’s not right.  God doesn’t send people evil spirits.”  Humm….

I didn’t really have a good answer.  I did tell Jeremy that we shouldn’t say that the Bible isn’t right, we should just say, “I don’t understand that part.”

The children’s Bible that we’re reading from actually did have a comment.  It says that God sent the evil spirit to punish Saul for his disobedience.  Maybe, but there’s one part where Saul has resolved to be nice to David, invites him back to his house, and then the “evil spirit sent from the Lord” returns and Saul hurls a spear at David.  Saul was trying to be nice; why couldn’t that spirit leave him alone?  I don’t understand that one either.

I don’t understand …

Is it okay to say that?  Do we have to have all the answers, or can we acknowledge that some of God’s ways are just beyond us, and still hang onto faith even though we don’t always have understanding.

I think it was Anselm who defined theology as “faith seeking understanding.”  The operative word here is “seeking.”  We may or we may not find, and faith doesn’t always depend on understanding, but rather seeks it.

In the past, I’ve been guilty of a kind of gnosticism – thinking that salvation was based on understanding, rather than on faith.  I don’t want my sons to grow up thinking like that.  I want them to embrace faith, while they seek understanding.

3 Comments:

At 6:45 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you explain a paradox to a child? Or even an adult? I was reading about Moses and the Pharoah last night from Abbie's story Bible. "God hardened Pharoah's heart" was in my head but I couldn't say that to a 3 year old. So I chose that he wouldn't listen to God - easy out.
I, too, desire for my children a different faith that I was taught. Let's keep talking about it so that it will happen
Denise

 
At 1:39 PM CST, Blogger Missionary's Missionary said...

The odd thing I've also found is that God chooses not to explain Himself. His answer to Job was.."Where were you when I...? Tell me if you can!" He tells Moses, "Say that I AM sent you." Jesus doesn't say, "I'm so sorry, but, by the way, you may have to suffer and/or die for me."
Sometimes it's hard to believe that God is all good and all powerful at the same time, but I am convinced He is, whether I can understand it or not. I do know one thing - I love Him. I just pray our kids come to this faith, also, and love Him enough to die for Him. I pray for that kind of faith for myself! I think it comes down to our kids seeing us deal with hard things/times and hanging on to our faith in the process. Too simple? Perhaps...
Love's prayers...Dottie

 
At 2:37 PM CST, Blogger Steve said...

It is perfectly okay to say "I don't understand". If we did we would be God. I ain't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home