Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Public Domain

Temperatures are warming back up in Togo, so yesterday we took a couple of hours in the capital city of Lomé to go to the swimming pool. Just as we were about to leave, we struck up a conversation with Togolese man who lives in New York. Two of his six children were with him and his wife, visiting a “home” that they barely know. This man said that his father had previously been the Togolese ambassador to the United Nations before dying in a plane crash over Ivory Coast, which he said was an assassination. I have no idea whether this was true or not, but this gives you an idea of how the conversation went.

He asked what we were doing in Togo and we told him that we were missionaries. He asked what church and we told him. He volunteered that his mother had gotten the whole family involved in Eckankar, and that was the religion he practiced.

I don’t know very much about Eckankar, but I have browsed through one of their leaflets. Best I can tell, it is an eclectic, new-ageish personality cult that preaches that truth is in all belief systems and they can help you cull out the truth—for a fee. Most of the adherents are African intellectuals (and, from my limited contacts, quasi-intellectuals).

For some reason, it came pretty naturally for me to tell this man that Eckankar believes everything and nothing at the same time. He told me that I was exactly right. Well, that emboldened me to tell him a little more about Jesus being the only Way, at least that’s what Jesus claimed, and you either have to reject Jesus altogether or accept that claim. The man was not in the least offended by my boldness. He didn’t convert on-the-spot either, but I got the feeling that he would consider what I said.

My question is—why is it so easy to have this kind of conversation with Africans, and so difficult to have with Americans?

At least that’s the way it was for me eons ago when I lived in America.

I think part of the answer is that, in Africa, questions of eternal truth are still in the public domain. Africans accept that these things are part of reality and can be discussed publicly as freely as sports, the weather, and today’s news. Every Westener, on the other hand, seems to have his or her own copyrighted version of truth and has privatized these issues so that even intimate friendships are threatened when they are introduced.

I’m planning to move back to America next year, and I want to be able to share my faith as freely there as I do here in Africa, but I’m afraid that I won’t know how. So—those of you who are on the frontlines of the kingdom in that foreign land – Is it possible to discuss your faith in the public domain? How does the Holy Spirit open doors for you? Is it as difficult as I am imagining? Is there any value in this kind of spontaneous witnessing without any possibility of follow-up? These are some of my questions – any answers?

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony,

First of all, let me say, yes, I think that there is value to witnessing spontaneously even if you don't get to follow up because God will follow through on the seed you have planted. Perhaps you have planted the seed, perhaps someone else along the way will water it, but it's God who makes it grow. I think it's easy to lose sight of that when participating in long-term missions. While I think that long-term cultural study and relationship-building are important and needed in reaching people of other cultures (and in following up on the contacts that you make), I think that we can be assured also that God will do His work THROUGH us AND despite of us.

As far as sharing faith in the public domain here in the US...I do think it is more difficult. People are interested in talking about religion as long as you don't think yours is the only one. But I don't think that's any reason not to share (although I have to say that I am less bold, definitely). I think what really makes a world of difference here in the US is building friendships and being consistent in your walk with Christ -- striving for holiness and letting His fruits grow and manifest themselves in your life. People notice these things, and then when you do speak boldly for Christ, they respect you for it because they have seen that you are still loving, even though it seems to them that what you believe is "intolerant".

I guess I don't have any answers, but there is my contribution to the discussion...

 
At 1:12 PM CST, Blogger Greg said...

With the on-going collapse of modernity and Christendom, there is a mix of those who will readily engage in discussion, and others who won't.

If one engages in discussion, not like we see Paul and Jesus, but from a Christendominal (can I make up words?) mindset there will be resistence among those typically willing to share in metaphysical dialogue.

It is amazing to me that in Christianity where the foundation of our identity is in grace we often can't seem to dialogue without coming across as intolerant. We are so certain that the Good News means asserting our exclusive claims on truth we are perplexed when others don't hear any Good News. We attribute the problem to their relativistic leanings, rather than asking whether we know what the Gospel is.

Maybe the Good News isn't "you're wrong and I've got the only real answers . . . want to hear them?"

Maybe if we learn the Good News of the nearness of God's Reign then we will be able to speak readily without always coming off as intolerant of others.

 
At 8:46 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happened by your blog by way of the TOCC blog.

I've done some mission work in Russia, Mexico and with Alaskan natives.

The return to America each time is one of great emotion. Such heart ache to share the great news.....such charisma to get out there and get going! Yet, the emotions run so deep that it's overwhelming, you feel so lost and all you can do is cry. Almost like you're going through a deep loss...like grieving.

I recently spoke with a lady who returned from China and I asked her if she had these same emotions. She said yes! She thought maybe it was just her...I said no.

Maybe it's the fact that your life has changed so much and you've seen so many things that have deepened your relationship with the Lord that you don't even know how to begin to share that with anyone.

What I found is that Americans believe in God...almost all. They're just not sure about the Bible.

It's not easy to just have conversations and witness in that way. More often than not people are touched by the "good deeds" that are done in Christ's name. Fulfulling or partially fulfilling some type of need has been a tool to reach out. (helping people move, financial gifts, house repairs, rides to the dr's, home visits...etc). Practical things.

Pray for your transition back to the states...that God would grant you grace and strength and smoothness!

davemily@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home