Saturday, March 26, 2005

First Impressions

Here are Alan Henderson’s impressions of West Africa after less than 48 hours here.

"Eighty-two percent humidity.  Eighty-six degree temperature.  And that's inside the house! No wonder my body feels a bit droopy!  The warmth of the temperature inside, however, is more than matched by the warmth of the people outside.  Firm handshakes, welcoming smiles, scampering children, friendly greetings in both French and Ewe--all these things combine to make for indelible memories.  Sights, sounds. and smells of the marketplace.  Wood smoke curling skyward.  Goats and sheep wandering through side streets.  Chickens running.  Vendors trading.  I can't wait to get to heaven when I'll finally be able to fully understand my Togolese brothers and sisters even as I am fully understood.  But for now I wait patiently, smiling, nodding, and learning as a child in a new and intriguing culture.

"The mix of ancient and future here confounds me.  To see a mother walking down the street in dust-covered sandals, small child securely strapped to her back with colorful cloth, a heavy load of dishpans and firewood on her fabric-wrapped head, supported by one hand, talking on a cell phone with the other.  (Perhaps the strangest disconnect for me has been that Lanita's American cell phone receives a signal and works here in this remote place...when it often can't receive a signal ten miles from our house in Atlanta!)

"The blending of culture and faith humbles me.  This morning we greeted an old "papa"--Emmanuel--who lives just next door to Anthony and Maureen.  He is sightless, leprous, and physically wasting away--one of those whom Jesus touched and healed while he was here--and yet, before we left, he prayed a prayer of blessing over me and my family. He may be blind, but he is a blessing.  He may be leprous, but he demonstrates Christ's love.  He may be physically wasting away, but inwardly he is being renewed. 

"Tomorrow we will worship with a local village church.  We anticipate what GOD will teach us there...in worship...as He joins us by His Spirit." 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home