Saturday, March 19, 2005

Ashley Smith's Courage

I’m sure I’m not the first one to comment on the courage shown by Ashley Smith, who was held hostage by a man who had allegedly just killed several people, including a judge, at an Atlanta courthouse.  Her courage and wisdom saved herself, probably others who may have been killed, and almost certainly the life of the killer himself.  She may have even saved his soul. 

I’m also sure that I’m not the first one to comment on the fact that Ashley’s courage was built upon her personal faith, her ability to draw upon that faith in a moment of crisis, and with loving compassion, to communicate that faith to a man in desperate circumstances.  It’s no secret that Ashley shared parts of Rick Warren’s The Purpose Driven Life with the alleged gunman.

What I haven’t heard many comments about – and maybe it’s just because I don’t have access to a lot of media – is the fact that Ashley’s courage came out of her own brokenness.  Here was a woman who had lost her husband in a violent death, and whose subsequent struggles had resulted in losing custody of her daughter, a daughter who was no doubt dear to her, because she entered so often into Ashley’s conversation with her kidnapper.  I don’t know the details of Ashley’s background, and I don’t need to – I’m sure plenty of people will pry into it – but I’m encouraged to see that Ashley has become a stronger person.  Her strength did not come from a problem-free life, but from being broken and molded on the Potter’s wheel.

When tragedy strikes my life – and I cannot expect to be free from it – I know that I’ll be tempted to ask, “Why me, Lord?”  I hope I can remember Ashley and know that, whatever evil forces may have brought the tragedy about, that God can bring good out of it.

 

I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.  The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. – John 12:24-25

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home