Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Medics in the Band

For the past few nights, I’ve been watching the HBO production Band of Brothers on DVD, borrowed from some fellow missionaries.  The series traces the history of “Easy Company,” a company of American paratroopers in World World II.  In spite of its disturbing, graphic reality, I think it’s healthy for adults to watch such films so that we never think that military solutions are easy ones, and so that we remember the price that has been paid for the freedoms we enjoy.  I don’t want to glorify or even justify war.  But the reality is that our world would be vastly, unimaginably different if some wars had not been fought. 

When I was growing up, getting Walter Cronkite’s reports on Vietnam every night, I often thought that if I had to go to war, I would be a conscientious objector and go as a medic.  Maybe I thought that would be an easy way out.  Watching this film, I’ve been incredibly impressed by the bravery of the medics.  I’m not sure if I could have ever done that job.  They often ran, unarmed, into the line of fire to treat a wounded comrade.  Their utter selflessness amazes me.

Maybe these medics would be a good model for ministry in the world.  (I almost wrote “in the church,” but then it occurred to me that the church’s primary role is to minister, not to be ministered to.  At least that was Jesus’ goal, and he is our pattern. )  The medics are in the middle of a battle, yet they are not combatants.  They do not attack, but they are under attack.  Their goal is to heal, not to wound.  They risk their own safety to save others.  They are covered with the blood of others, so that they can heal.  They often do not succeed, but their service redefines success.   The justice of their cause does not depend on the just-ness of those they are serving.

No doubt the medics’ willingness to sacrifice had something to do with the union they felt with those they were helping.  I don’t think medics crossed lines to serve the other side very much.  There is a dichotomy between the kingdom and the world.  But the kingdom is in the world, though not of it.  Jesus was not of the world, but he not only identifies with those who are “In Christ,” but with all of humanity, in our humanity.  I see in myself a need to more closely identify with the world in our common humanity, so that I have a clearer view of who the enemy is – and who he is not.  It’s only when I view those who are being attacked by the enemy as part of my “Band of Brothers,” that I will dive into the line of fire to rescue them.

The trouble with every metaphor is that it’s bound to break down somewhere.  Don’t press this one too far.  But could it help to view ourselves, we who minister as part of the corps of Christ, as medics in the middle of the world’s battles? 

(By the way, if you ever want to give the gift that keeps on giving, send a good video series, preferably on DVD, to missionaries.  It’ll get passed around to several families, maybe even over two or three countries.) 

1 Comments:

At 12:00 PM CST, Blogger Steve said...

Good post. I guess since Jesus was the Great Physician, calling christians to be medics is not too far off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home